Here you will find updates and final result on the making of the costumes for the City Academy Christmas Pantomime 2015: Sleeping Beauty, written by Pippa O'Brien.
This term I decided not to perform on stage, but solely concentrate on making costumes after I checked with the director what her view on costumes would be for this show. In the past, the pantomime was usually set in modern day allowing for the ensemble to source their costumes without any problems or major cost. The director wished to set this show in a medieval setting, as the story of Sleeping Beauty doesn't lend itself for a modern take. This got me really excited. However we have 40 cast member and 2 companies. To make 80 costumes would be a little too much for me, so I asked a few other people to help me.
All of the ensemble scenes are set at in palace, so my initial idea for a peasant look wouldn't work. After doing some research I found a really nice pattern for our female ensemble and adjusted the sleeves to make it look a bit more flamboyant.
All costumes are made from scratch. We have only used a few store bought items such as the petticoats, the jodhpurs, the shirts for the king and both Muddels are wearing their own jeans.
All of our velvet fabric, some other fabrics and bits & bobs are bought at Suzie May Ltd. They have been an amazing help and are very friendly. It was a real pleasure dealing with them.
18 December 2015:
I didn't have a lot of time for any updates as there was so much to do, but I am extremely proud and happy with the final results. Here are the production shots, portfolio photos (only Monday Company costumes) and some backstage photos.
This weekend I finished both Aurora dresses (apart from the hem) and created a petticoat to see if it looks good under the dresses. After finishing the neckline on the Queen dresses, I started with the sleeves. I will hand stitch the faux fur on the inside, so there are no visible seams.
This is a little video from our Sewing Event for the ensemble dresses. The next one will be upcoming Sunday 18 October.
27 September 2015:
This weekend I picked up all fabrics from Suzie May Ltd I had ordered. It was the stack in the picture, plus 6 rolls of velvet. Thankfully I had some people to help me with a car.
I also went to B&Q to get some piping and COAX connectors for some DIY creations. Come see the show and find out what it is all going to be.
20 September 2015:
I went back home to my parents for a week and my mum told me to bring some work along. So we have created the base of the costumes for our Auroras, Queens and the under dress for both Maleficents. We cut the sleeves and facings as well, however I want to fit the dresses first.
Slowly all the rest of the materials are coming in which I have ordered. So far I am really happy with how it all turns out. Suzie May also had these very nice buttons, which I will use for the Prince jackets.
8 September 2015:
A lot has happened since the last update. I have drawn the designs in my best ability for Fairy Fabulous, Maleficent and the costumes for the Dame. I also started constructing the pattern for the ensemble dresses. It was a lot of work but eventually it will be easy to work with it.
I picked up some fabric to make the 4 different dress sizes so we could fit them on our ensemble, before ordering all fabric. On the first dress I added horsehair braid, however I am not happy with that look. the dress looks nice without any and it swirls very nice when the girls will spin. I have amended the sleeve to a straight sleeve with an open chiffon bell. I have used cationic chiffon which has such an amazing flow to it.
Furthermore I bought the material for the under dress of the good fairy, all chiffon for on top and also all ribbon for the costumes. On the last picture it shows the ribbon for all ensemble girls, boys, Maleficent and Aurora.
11 August 2015:
So the new season has started off with the Welcome Week to meet all old and new members of the Monday and Tuesday company. It was great seeing everyone.
We started looking at the fabric and colours. We have chosen a few options, but not made up our minds yet. On this picture you can find a chip which I ordered to test an idea I have. Hopefully it will work and make it to the stage.